25 January 2008

Snowy Friday five


in between system crashes, Singing Owl asks us:

Brrrr! Baby, it’s COLD outside! At least that is the case where I am this morning. We are in a January deep freeze. Have a cup of hot tea and tackle five easy seasonal questions.
I have my Jasmine Green tea and here it goes....

1. What is the thermometer reading at your house this morning?
17F at 2:00 pm

2. Snow—love it or hate it?
Love it if I don't have to be somewhere. I remember a friend's slumber party in Feb where we stayed up till 3 and one of the girls' mother called when she got up at 5 to tell us that there was snow outside, so we all got dressed and ran out -- there was enough an a couple of cars to make 1 or 2 snowballs. It was exciting. It's not that exciting anymore. We also used to do road trips in high school where we'd load up the kids on the church bus and drive north until we found snow. (it required an overnight stay, so I'm guessing the parents were doing more planning than we knew.)

3. What is winter like where you are?
Pot holes. It's cold, the snow comes and goes. the roads are old.

4. Do you like winter sports? Any good stories?
Is sitting by a the fire a sport? I used to ski a little, but I was never any good.

5. What is your favorite season, and why?
Spring -- the hope and renewal implicit in the new foliage and all, of course, the riot of colorful flowers. Fall -- the beautiful, flaming colors. both of these because they're neither too hot nor too cold. I'm becoming a wimp in my old age. I lived a bit in an area that went from frozen to sweltering in "spring" and from sweltering to icy in "fall" I hated it.

6 comments:

Sally said...

If sitting by the fire becomes a sport I'll be in the running for sure. Great play!

Gannet Girl said...

I'm with you on the moderation provided by fall and spring!

Diane M. Roth said...

I think you can count sitting by the fire...

Teri said...

sitting by the fire sounds like the best winter sport ever! Count me in!

Unknown said...

Oh, gosh, 'tis definitely the season of potholes here, too!

leah said...

Snow—love it or hate it?
Love it if I don't have to be somewhere...


just maybe, if you're inside, warm, with lots of pleasant company and tons of tasty food. would you believe i'd almost forgotten about potholes--not that the roads here are all that great; thanks for a fun play!